Sunday, April 24, 2011

Thrift Store Reviews... American Way Thrift, The Yard Sale, and It's A Wrap!

      So, Friday, the man-candy and I started in Burbank, CA for a little bargain shopping.  Isn't that what I'm always doing? haha

    In Burbank, we went to 3 stores, all within a very short distance of each other on Magnolia Blvd.

     First, we found "American Way Thrift Store" - This place was the epitome of what thrift stores are commonly thought to be...  Dirty, Smelly, Overpriced..... RIDICULOUS. I found a few good deals for myself... what seemed to be the only gems in the entire store...

I found a forever 21 dress for $3, that's the colorful fabric, a fox brand white and argyle print sweater for $4, and "The Goddess Guide" - the pink book there... for only $2. I love this book. I might do a review on it later as it is so fun!

   The keychains to the left and the cups on top are going up for sale as soon as I get my sites up and running... SOON!!! YAY!!!!

     ---Reviewing this place is my task... the task I have given myself on this blog, so here goes... I'm afraid to say much, as the old saying goes "If you can't say anything nice...."

     This place was dirty, smelled like old sweaty body odor, and was way overpriced. I looked up at the specials board but only found 3 items that were on sale... all in horrible shape... stained, worn, etc. there was no dressing room (which doesn't bug me honestly). You stand in front of the entire store trying on clothes in front of mirrors on the wall. Like I said, this didn't bug me so much. I think the thing that bugged me worst, over the prices and the smell, was the customer service. I tried to speak to someone about some items that were laying in a pile - I thought they were part of the sale- but I was completely ignored. Several of the employees even bumped into me as I was shopping without saying sorry or even acknowledging that I existed.
     I decided to devise a test. There was a book that my fiance slightly wanted (not enough to buy for the original price they had marked on it... $4.99). It was a recent comic type book. The price was written on it and another book like it in red grease pen. So, fully intending not to buy them, mind you, we wiped the price off of them and took them to the counter. "How much for these?", we asked the 2 ladies at the counter. Each one of them made their own price for the first book.. originally $4.99. The first woman said $6. The second woman said $8.50. The first woman then said, "Oh, she's right, it's $8.50.
    The second book was also originally marked $4.99. This time the first woman stayed out of it completely and the second woman told us that it was $10.99. For a comic book that's not worth anything to anyone except my fiance because it had zombies in it. These books are selling on Ebay for 99 cents. I looked them up.
   We told them to keep them and bought the other items that you saw above.
               On the way out, I saw a teenage boy ask these ladies the price of the books and he was quoted $2.99 for each. He bought them. It makes me wonder if the color of mine and my fiance's skin had anything to do with it, to be honest. I'm no racist, that's for sure, but I think they might have been.... and I was apparently the wrong color. I will not be going back here for any reason.


     
On to the second store we visited... The Yard Sale... This place was completely different from the first. Here's the storefront...
                And the rack of 99 cent clothes out in front.  Nice brands here actually... American Eagle, Abercrombie, Forever 21, etc...

Their business card says "Come for our prices, Come back for the quality." And it is right.
This place was clean and organized. The inside was well stocked and kind of eclectic. It was very pleasant to shop here. In the end, I only bought a few things...

         All owls. Ok, so I'm obsessed. Most of these are for sale... in fact, everything in the top picture is. The bottom picture is mine. I love this little statue. It will look fantastic with my trinket collection.  :)

    Like I said, shopping here was divine. I will be going back to look through all their clothes, that's for sure.
The saleswoman, who seems to co-own the store's name was Ivone, and she was SOOOOO sweet. I found a broken necklace that I wanted to add some feathers to and re-sell and Ivone gave me a great price for it. She talked and joked with my fiance and pulled every owl ring out that she had for me to look at. Overall, this place was an A+. I recommend a visit if you are in the Burbank area or visiting it.

         The YARD SALE
       2022 W. Magnolia
      Burbank, CA 91506
     Phone - 818-736-5002


  Lastly, for this blog anyway, is It's A Wrap! Resale Store. This place deals mostly in reselling props from movies. The prices here are ok, for what it is. Props from the movies. lol    I found quite a few great deals in here, but didn't buy them.(Lucky Jeans worn in True Blood for $3, orange espadrilles worn in CSI for $8) I found a couple things I didn't want to leave without and they took priority. :) 
   An owl ring... in my size.. from the new movie featuring the girl that plays Quinn Fabray from Glee called "I Am Number 4." 
    A heavy, sparkly bracelet worn in the movie "Burlesque" with Cher and Christina Aguilera. I am looking for screen shots that show my items... I'll share them if I find them!!!!

    And two general merchandise items for crafting and for resale.
    These butterflies will be going on hats and hair accessories soon...
  
And these owl earrings are for sale, either as earrings (but they are kind of big), or as pendants with beaded strings. :)

It's A Wrap Prop Resale
3315 W Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA
Phone - 818-567-7366

This day stayed good... I think the only negative critique I had was the first place, American Way. Everyone else was so nice and the service was so good. I can't wait to go back to It's A Wrap when I have more money and buy something awesome someone cool wore in some movie I really like. (like the burlesque bracelet) hahahahaha
I haven't watched "I Am Number 4" yet though... haha

Watch out for the rest of my day in the next couple blogs, to go up in the next couple of days!

4 comments:

  1. Woah: amazing stores and finds! I saw that Goddess book in Anthroplogie for some kind of ungodly price- great score!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! I was so excited to find it. I still think I'm going to do a blog or two on it.... it's so awesome. haha There is even an interview with THE Christian Louboutin in it. (I'm sorta obsessed with those red-soled shoes... as my next blog will attest... haha)
    Thanks again for your comment. It's nice to know that someone is reading this thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info! A friend recently talked to the owners of The Yard Sale: apparently, they buy "lots" from Joe Ordinary People. I'm hoping to sell a bunch of my stuff to them, cuz Craig's List ain't getting me bupkiss. :|

    ReplyDelete
  4. CL isn't looked at much anymore. Ever since that big cl killer thing, noone wants to go on it. lol Hope it works for you!!

    ReplyDelete